Vegetable Bulbs & Seeds
What is more fun than growing your own vegetables? Fernhill offers a wide range of vegetable bulbs & seeds in the webshop. Buy rhubarb, carrot, garlic, Brussels sprouts, and horseradish. Plant vegetable bulbs & seeds and harvest fresh products from your kitchen garden. Now it's time to start making plans for your kitchen garden. Enjoy pesticide-free, organic grown vegetables right from your own garden.
What do you need to grown your own vegetables?
If you're starting to grow your own vegetables, it can be quite challenging to find out which tools you exactly need to maintain healthy soil, healthy plants and healthy vegetables. That's why we like to help and advice you, so you know exactly what to do to make your kitchen garden thrive. We are very glad to provide you with some tips and tricks along the way!
- First of all, start with the right place, choose a sunny site for your vegetable bulbs and seeds.
- Vegetable bulbs and seed prefer well-draining and loose soil. Make sure the soil is not too heavy. If so, loosen the ground and mix it with a handful of grit to help the drainage.
- Mix the soil with organic material to provide the right amount of nutrients. Organic material also softens the soil and makes the roots easily spread through the soil.
- Get the right pH. The soil in a vegetable garden should be somewhere between 6 and 7. To lower the pH, you need to add aluminium sulfate and sulfur. To raise the pH you need to add lime.
If you wonder what the pH of your soil is, please do a ground test. Contact us for more information.
How to start your own kitchen garden?
At Fernhill, we have everything you need to turn your garden into a vegetable garden. There's a wide diversity available, from vegetable seeds to vegetable bulbs and potatoes. Here's a shortlist of what we offer:
Seeds: from tomatoes to carrots and lettuces, most vegetables are grown from seeds. Take a look at our wide range of seeds and find your favourite vegetables to grow in your own garden.
Seed potatoes and sets: from early spring you will find seed potatoes, onions, shallots and garlic from sets. These sets are easy to handle baby bulbs to plant straight into the ground.
Perennial vegetables: these include some special delicacies, such as asparagus crown, artichokes and more.
How to grow garlic from bulbs?
Grow your own garlic from vegetable bulbs. It is not difficult, requires little time and is most of all, a fun thing to do! Fernhill offers garlic Eden Rose, and garlic Maco, both delicious types. Here’s how you plant garlic bulbs:
- Select a sunny spot in your (kitchen) garden.
- Garlic likes fertile, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.5 to 7. If your soil is on the thin, sandy side, add healthy additions of compost, plus aged manure or 5-10-10 fertilizer.
- Lime the soil if you haven’t done so recently. Before planting cloves, add some fertilizer into the soil.
- Place the garlic bulbs 5-10 cm apart and 5 cm deep in their upright position, with the pointed end facing up.
- Water every 3 to 5 days during bulbing (mid-May through June)
- Harvest garlic bulbs when most of the leaves have turned brown. This is usually in mid-July to early August.
- Let the garlic bulbs dry for 2 to 3 weeks in a shady area with excellent air circulation.
Buy vegetable bulbs and seeds from Fernhill
If you want to plant vegetable bulbs and seeds, order your favourite vegetables from our webshop. If you're not sure which ones are suitable for a beginner's vegetable garden or if you have any other questions concerning new seeds, sets, or perennial vegetables don't hesitate to ask us for advice. Find our contact details on the contact page. We look forward to welcoming you back to our garden centre, in the meantime, keep gardening!